Friday, October 3, 2008

Meeting with Don

After talking to Don, I needed to talk to other people about my project and flush out some of my ideas. I've been locking my self at home and stew in the project for way too long. Craig, Connie, and Nina helped me out a lot by allowing me to bounce off ideas from them. It's like ripping off a BandAid and expose the wound. Some key problems I've missed all surfaced after talking to them... Problem vs. Solution
  1. This project shouldn't "victimize" the new immigrants and make them feel like they're receiving charity from the Canadians. Instead of making a system where it's a one way street (Canadians helping out the new immigrants), it should be about and exchange of cultures. We should take advantage of the cultural diversity in British Columbia and have the new immigrants share their culture with the Canadians while receiving practical help to adapt in British Columbia.
  2. Audience should be narrowed down even more (originally my target audience for this project are new immigrants from age 45 and up). It is now narrowed down to new immigrants who came to Canada with their child(ren) from age 45 to 55.
  3. Simply produce something to boost awareness isn't going to help. I need to make people to actually DO something to help within that awareness campaign to make it effective. Pair the awareness campaign with a prompt for people to follow up and participate in the program.
After talking and writing notes like crazy, I decided to help out Bonne to set up for the Alcuin Awards since I'm going to the talk and knew I was going to work some more on my grad project after. I thought the break would help clear my mind a bit, and it did!

2 comments:

Ginger said...

I think one thing I noticed about my aunt and cousins (well, mostly my aunt, who fits your dempgraphic!) is that they go through the whole process and effort of getting immigrant status, and later citizenship, but once they get here, they fall into little clusters of the same Filipino-Chinese community. It's understandable, to reach out to something familiar in a new setting, but I don't really get the sense that she wanted to branch out or share her culture with others.

A lot of it of course deals with immigrating to a first-world country to give your children a better future, more opportunities, etc. But then at the same time, does this selfless act affect the parents in any way? While their kids are off making friends and integrating themselves, what do they do?

They aren't in the same situation like being enrolled in school where you are encouraged (forced?) to socialize with other children. I know my aunt goes to church and all of that, but still within her familiar community. Always in Richmond, family friends, etc.

So maybe I guess where does that comfort zone of familiarity start becoming a crutch? I'm rambling...

Chloe said...

Thanks for your input, G! It is a trend/habit I noticed among Taiwanese moms around the age. I wanted to assume it's like that for many cultures because it seems like human nature to stay in the comfort zone with they just settled in a new environment. But now I've got your story to back it up too. I'll be asking this Turkish family about it....

Like you said, it's totally understandable. That comfort zone seems to be really hard to break for immigrants in that age group.

So, it's my goal to create something practical, welcoming, and comfortable for the new immigrants in my demographic to get out of their little circles..

I've gotta talk to you and run some of my ideas off of ya! Wait for my call, hah.

Followers