Thursday, September 4, 2008

First day of grad workshop




Today was the first day talking about my grad project in class. I was excited to see what everyone's interested about and the problems that everyone wants to solve. Lots of interesting topics. I'm new to blogging and am totally excited to be able to get feedback online from everyone.

In a nutshell, the problem I want to explore (and try to solve) for my grad project is to bridge the disconnect between immigrants and the locals. Canada is known for its diverse cultural background. But, having gone through the immigration experience from Taiwan to Canada in my teenage life brought me to question the real connection between immigrants and locals. Yes, cultural diversity is celebrated in Canada through different festivals, but what happens after you eat that moon cake for the Mid-Autumn festival? We get to be introduced to the culture briefly, but do we really get to know the people (the immigrants who come from such culture) and help them out on an individual basis? I still have lots to narrow down, I'll be flushing out my ideas and clean it up into my proposal for next week.

I'm just going to leave this as a short post since I'm running a bit behind on prepping for leaving for Shanghai for my sister's wedding. Sorry for not going to be able to participate in person for the following 2 weeks, but I'll keep you all posted through the magic of blogging!

I'm totally open to any ideas, suggestions, and criticisms regarding my project. Much appreciated!

No comments:

Followers